Friday, June 20, 2008

Rasberry Oatmeal Bars

I made these today for the first time for fellowship. When I looked at the amount of filling (only 12 ounces of jam) I had to improvise because that would NOT be enough filling! So I have made the recipe (what I think is) better. Very quick, easy and tasty!

1 pkg yellow cake mix
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats- uncooked
3/4 cup butter melted
12 ounce jar rasberry jam (I used grape jelly)
1 can tropical fruit or fruit cocktail or pie filling ( I used tropical fruit)
1 Tbsp water if neccesary

Grease 13 by 9 pan and preheat oven to 375. In very large bowl stir cake mix and oats together. Cut in melted butter until mixture is crumbly. Press dough into pan evenly reserving about 1/2 cup or so.

In small saucepan pour in jam and tropical fruit. Make water/cornstarch thickener as seen here. Bring the fruit and jam to a boil and pour in cornstarch teaspoon by teaspoon until mixture resembles the thickness of cherry pie filling. Spread over crust. To remaining crust mixture add a bit of flour till it is more crumbly and resembles topping. Sprinkle over top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until nice and golden. Top with fresh whip cream or cool whip. I even think this would be great with some cream poured on top.

No comments: