Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Sweet and Sour Pasta Salad

















1 package (16 oz.) tricolor spiral pasta
1/2 a medium red onion, chopped and boiled til soft (or cook it briefly in the microwave unless you like crunchy onions)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 a medium green pepper, chopped
2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Dressing:
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 Tablespoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon salt, optional
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Place in a large serving bowl. Add the onion, tomato, cucumber, green pepper and parsley; set aside. In a saucepan, combine the dressing ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon. About 16 servings (or less if you love it like me!)

*Lil's note- I made this for our Independance Day BBQ. I used Italian Dressing instead of vinegar and used ordinary pasta instead of the multicolored ones. I also added some olives. It would have been so much prettier as the original recipe stated but I used what I have. I also threw in some drained sliced olives.

2 comments:

Lil said...

Yum Jackie- this is good. Thanks for the great recipe!

Jackie said...

Your welcome, it's one of my favorite pasta salads!